background

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Discounts, coupons, promos...

At a cake delivery this month, I started chatting with the DJ who was setting up.  We started talking about the wedding and he mentioned to me that he was booked just 2 or so months before.  He also mentioned that he gave the couple a 35% discount since he still had availability and it was short notice.  He said he either got the gig or spent the day watching football.

This got me thinking... how many other wedding/special event vendors did this?  Is this something that is suggested on wedding planning sites and magazines?  I don't know the answer, but I wonder if that is why I get a lot of "last minute" wedding cake requests.

I guess I am different than a lot of folks out there... I don't give discounts, don't do coupons, or run any promos/specials.  It's not that I don't think they are a good idea, but at this time, I think I am busy enough.  If I don't have cakes to make one weekend... I am thrilled!  That's not to say I don't want any business, it's just an extra opportunity for me to recharge and spend some extra time with my family.

3 comments:

  1. I think that it is weird that he gave them a discount bcs he was available. I would think it would be more prudent to give a discount to someone who planned a lot further ahead? (and not necessarily you, but people in the "party" business) that would ensure that people book early and often, rather than wait to the last minute. Maybe that is just me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't give discounts either, and I'm turning away work. I know a lot of people do it, but that's their thing I guess. Not me, I have bills to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. DiscountBro

    ReplyDelete

Nice comments are always appreciated! Mean-spirited comments or spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...