background

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Are the ribbons out yet?

This past weekend was the National Capital Area Cake Show (NCACS) in Annandale, VA.  It is put on by the VA chapter of ICES (International Cake Exploration Society) for cake artists and cake enthusiasts.  You can take classes with some of the "big names" in the cake world, do some shopping, and check out cakes, cookies, cupcakes, and showpieces made by kids, adults and pros.  This was my third year attending the show and by far the most fun I have had at the show.  I entered 5 different categories in the various competitions and took 4 different classes. I also spent a few hundred dollars on various supplies... of course that part I could have done without... but like any woman, I do love to shop... just not for clothes and shoes :).

My first class was with Edward Frys who does awesome sculpted work.  He taught airbrush basics and the best part about it was that I got to keep the airbrush!!  The worst part about it was that I was on my feet for 3 hours and 2 hrs after that.  Next up was brush embroidery and quilling with Mark Seaman.  I had some instruction on brush embroidery before, but I do learn some new tips and tricks.  I loved the quilling!  I had seen in done on a cake a few years ago and knew I wanted to learn... turns out it is really easy... just super time consuming.

On Sunday, I took Fab Fondant with Ashley Vicos.  I enjoyed listening to her but was a bit disappointed I didn't get to finish the project cake.  Finally I took a cookie decorating class with Diane Shavkin.  She is a cake decorating legend and I hope to utilize all the new techniques I learned from her in the near future.

While I enjoyed the classes and learned a lot, all I wanted to know the entire time I was there was did I win a ribbon?  I drove my poor friend nuts!  I just don't have any patience, and I am super competitive.  I was most interested in finding out about my tasting cakes (both chocolate fudge but they were in two different categories) and the cookies.  I thought it would be awesome to bring home a ribbon for tasting, but alas, I didn't.  I think it is a hard category to win since everyone has different preferences and you don't get any feedback, plus you are going up against people who have pastry degrees!  The cookies intrigued me because all the entries were great and my friend Amy was also in the category.  I was excited to see that third place ribbon!!!

As for the two decorated cakes, I got a 1st place and a 2nd place ribbon for those.  While I am happy to win the ribbons, there wasn't much competition (I am not saying the other entries were bad... I am saying there weren't many other entries period).  But a win is a win right?

So here were the entries..



Can't wait to enter again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are always appreciated! Mean-spirited comments or spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...